Career Opportunities – Graduate Developers (UK)
Are you looking for a real software development challenge with excellent prospects and rewards?
Would you like to combine that with customer interaction?
Does the idea of earning £44,000 a year in 6 months time excite you?
If the answer to these questions is YES, then we would like to hear from you.
OnTheMove is a software product, built using the latest technology, that allows organisations to deploy enterprise applications to mobile devices with a genuine mobile first UI. Our customers have been extremely successful with the product and we believe it has a great future in an expanding range of sub-markets.
Because our products are, in essence, a toolkit from which our customers create a final configuration to deploy to users, we need the very best developers who have the intellectual rigour to think through all the ways what they are coding might be used and have the determination to build solutions that will be robust in all circumstances.
After a short initial training period, you will be working on core product code to address real customer requirements. The work typically involves:
- building high quality solutions, often with minimal supervision
- developing test cases
- supporting our customers and internal consultants in their use of the product – typically identifying the root cause of reported problems
- working on customer implementation projects, configuring OnTheMove to the needs of particular organisations, and the configuration / support of vertical application products built in our core technology
For the right person, there will be the opportunity to rapidly advance into areas such as design, team leadership and more customer interaction.
We are interested in people with 0 to 2 years high quality post graduation experience – although no amount of experience will act as a substitute for the critically important academic and aptitude requirements. See Experienced Developers for more information.
We aim to recruit the very best graduates and the salary packages that we offer reflect this.
When You Join
If you join as a new or recent graduate, we start you on a basic salary of £36,000. In addition, we pay a relocation allowance of up to £1,000 to people moving into the area.
After 6 Months Within 6 months, assuming normal progress, you should be on a package of about £44,000 comprising:
- a basic salary of at least £42,000
- a contribution of up to 5% of basic salary on a matching basis into your own personal pension scheme
In order to apply, you need:
- a 2:1 or better in a numerate discipline from a reputable institution (or equivalent if you studied outside of the UK). If you have not yet graduated, you need a reasonable expectation of a suitable degree. We recruit from a wide range of backgrounds. You do not need to have a Computer Science degree – we are just as interested to hear from candidates with other numerate degrees such as Maths, Physics and Engineering. All of our team have at least a Bachelors degree, some have progressed to a Masters or Doctorate.
- 3 A levels at grade A or B in serious subjects (or equivalent if you studied outside of the UK)
- excellent and well-proven programming skills in a 3GL. These don’t need to be in a particular language although but we have special interest in any of the following:
- Object Oriented languages in general, especially with experience of designing class models involving a high degree of abstraction
- C# / Java
- enthusiasm, determination and a sense of “mission”
- relevant commercial experience, e.g. an industrial placement, is a distinct advantage
Please send your CV, together with a covering letter, to email@example.com
When applying, please:
- specify that you are applying for the Graduate Developer role
- provide as much detail as possible about your experience since graduation, exams taken and grades achieved
- tell us where you first saw our recruitment advertising
We aim to have a short, simple and effective process. Once we have received your application, if we are interested in taking things further, the typical process will be:
- a short telephone interview
- a technical test that you can complete remotely and we would anticipate would take about 2 or 3 hours
- maximum of two face to face interviews normally lasting about an hour each
We often make job offers within a month of receiving an initial application – sometimes even faster.
We do apply for work permits for successful applicants on occasions but, for this to be possible, your CV must be very strong, and the chances of a successful work permit application must be good. Current regulations make this much more likely to succeed if you have, or expect to get, a UK university degree. In addition, it must be practical for us to interview you in the UK.
We recruit undergraduates and “gap year” students for industrial placements with us, but these placements are for a minimum of 10 months. The requirements are similar to those for graduate trainees and the application process is the same. Salary for internships is outstandingly high.